Monday, July 27, 2009

Do you want to ask the author?

As it appears at least 2 of us are published authors, it seemed fitting to put such experience to good use. Therefore interested ones are invited to post questions about writing your own book. This can include standards of writing, editing, subject matter, publication issues, format, accuracy, printing and distribution. Since each work must be unique (to avoid plagiarism), the qualities needed include good language skills, imagination, ability to use a word processor, access to publishing services such as lulu.com or author.com

Here is a taster for you.

In the words of Anar: "In a seldom visited part of the passages of Corin-Bast is an unremarkable alcove. Nearby is the spot where we found the coffin of a six fingered man. His story led me to discover things we were forbidden to know. Someone hid the secret of our past here over a thousand years before I was born. Along with it was an object that had survived the centuries intact. Had I known its importance then, I would have run away and hid. Instead I became obsessed with knowing the truth of it. Why did I do it? Never could resist a challenge. All I wanted was to know its secret, but along the way it just got bigger and more dangerous. It is the story of how we got here and ultimately of our return to the 'place without wall or ceiling where man would no longer be alone'. The natives there call us 'Homo Subterens' (underground man). If we had suspected it earlier would we have set out to discover it, or shrunk back in fear? Now I hardly know how to tell it. I am no longer the boy who began this journey. I don't even look like a man any more. How long had the truth been hidden from us? Where do I begin to chart the rise of man? Sitting here among the mossy outcroppings it seems like a dream. I remember everything from the start, but who would believe me? Worst of all, when they look at my face they see the one who killed me, and who later delivered us all. Was Tascanar originally just a project, the creation of a brilliant mind, or was it ‘the resting place of the prophets’ as my people taught me? On reflection it probably started as one and became the other over time. Do not think of me as a hideous enemy. He was born as a son of the Kefa, one of the slaves of an evil twisted man. I speak now in his place. His kind and his world were the product of a wicked mind. He fears now because my mind shares with his in the same body, and condemns the things he did. It is ironic that this combination was what brought about our return. Now all depends on whether the court believes the truth of it, or whether they will condemn me as my own murderer. Anar
Get a copy here:Return (by John Durham)
Updates to the novel: Since a friend recently commented that my story was "too detailed", I had a choice.

1)Rewrite the book (ouch!) or 2)Provide cause for a detailed account.

Thankfully, the second option seemed far more practical. Therefore, a small addition has been made to the introduction. It gives cause for the detailed style (sorry- you have to read it to find out why).

No comments:

Post a Comment